Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Dreaded Talk.....

As many parents just think about talking to their kids about sex education, a bead of sweat percolates on their brow. Or is that way any more? Can kids of today have a candid discussion with Mom and Dad about the birds and the bees? Studies show that although kids are sexually active today they are not getting the right information to protect themselves. Today of all times with sexually transmitted diseases kids and adults alike need to be informed properly to stop the vicious cycle. Can you believe it or not the senior population is a very high carrier of STD's. Why is that? Are they too embarrassed to talk about sex to their doctors and or family? They are just having unprotected sex anyway. Thinking what do we have to lose at our age? I know some people think that is just wrong that Grandma is still getting action at 80 years old. Remember their might be snow on the roof, but there is still fire in the furnace. Now for the senior population you would think they would be wiser, and not making silly mistakes like that. Remember though back in their day sex is not something you talked about openly. Now fast forward 60 years sex is everywhere. I pose the question to you. Do you think it is the job of the school to teach sex to your children? Going back to my day, and I know this is dating me a bit I remember a story of our sex-ed teacher telling us boys if we got REAL DESPERATE we could use a piece of liver in a plastic bag. Now at the time we all thought this was just way too funny, but now I look back from an adult prospective, and wonder what he was thinking telling a bunch of adolescent boys with hormones on high to use liver in a pinch. Two points to this story:
1. I am not sure where he is getting his women from, but believe you me if I had a women that felt like liver I would take her to a doctor immediately!
2. As much as I still like liver as a meal I still look at liver and get a funny feeling when I thin k of that teacher.

Should teachers that teach sex education take a special course on the subject? Who is making sure they are passing on the right information? With today's computer education, and media advancement. I am a bit puzzled why teens would feel misinformed or uninformed when it came to sex education. In days when the teens of today are far more smarter then the youth of the past you would think that not only would the teens be better informed they would be practicing safer sex in today's society. That just goes to show you all the education in the world does not over turn maturity regardless of the age.

Until next time remember; “Men reach their sexual peak at eighteen. Women reach theirs at thirty-five. Do you get the feeling that God is playing a practical joke?”

Cheers
From The Big Ape

No comments: